First published: November 14, 2013 – Updated: September 25, 2021
Aşure (or, Noah’s Pudding) is a famous Turkish dessert, prepared on the Day of Aşure. Its name is derived from the word “Ashura”, which means “tenth” in Arabic. The Day of Aşure follows the Islamic holy calendar, and falls on the Tenth of Muharrem, during the first month of the calendar. Aşure is part of the culinary tradition of Turkey, as well as many of the surrounding countries.
Related content: Best Desserts in Istanbul: The 12 Sweetest Dessert Shops in Town
History of aşure
History tells how Noah’s Ark came to rest on Mount Ararat in northeastern Turkey, and his family celebrated with a special dessert. Since their food supplies were almost exhausted, the family used what was left (primary beans, grains, and dried fruit) to create a pudding, now known as aşure.
Aşure is traditionally made from a delicious mix of seven (7) main ingredients: wheat, rice, beans, chickpeas, sugar, dried fruit, and nuts. However, every Turkish family usually has its own special recipe. The dish is especially unique among Turkish cuisine as it contains no animal products.
Related content: Istanbul Markets: 20 Best Bazaars Every Traveler Must Visit
Where to find aşure in Istanbul:
1. Saray Muhallebicisi
At Saray Muhallebicisi, located on Istiklal Street since 1949, you can get some of the best aşure, puddings, and cakes in Istanbul.
Related content: The Best Baklava in Istanbul: TOP 11 Baklava Shops
2. Sütiş Emirgan
This 70-year-old cafe located in the scenic neighborhood of Emirgan serves a delicious aşure as well as many other Turkish main courses and desserts.
3. Beyaz Fırın
Having many branches in Istanbul, this generations-old bakery shop has been serving one of the best aşure in Istanbul.
4. Bolulu Hasan Usta
As one of Turkey’s most well-known dessert brands, Bolulu Hasan Usta specializes in Turkish milky puddings. At this famous chain dessert shop, in addition to puddings and cake, you can find an authentic aşure.
5. Zeynel Muhallebicisi
Focusing on Turkish milky desserts (muhallebi), Zeynel Muhallebicisi is a great place to order aşure. Also, save some space for their famous Orange & Fig pudding.
Aşure is a Turkish dessert that has been enjoyed for centuries. If you are looking to find the best places in Istanbul where this dish can be found, then look no further than our blog post! We’ve given you some of our favorite spots so make sure to check them out if you’re ever visiting Istanbul.
And don’t forget – we offer food tours as well, which include tasting all sorts of desserts like aşure! Join us on one of these culinary adventures today!
You may also like:
- The 35 Absolute Best Restaurants in Istanbul Right Now
- 15 Authentically Local Restaurants in Istanbul [2022 Update]
- The 10 Best Italian Restaurants in Istanbul [2022 Guide]
- 15 Best Istanbul Parks to Enjoy All Year Round (2022 UPDATE)
- 16 Most Beautiful Beaches in Istanbul (Public & Private)
- The 10 Absolute Best Sushi Restaurants in Istanbul for 2022
- 12 Best Steakhouses in Istanbul: Unleash Your Inner Caveman
- Honeymoon in Istanbul: 6 Most Romantic Things to Do & More
- Secret Istanbul: 15 Hidden Gems in Istanbul that You’ll Love
- Ultimate Guide to Sultanahmet: 10 Best Things to Do & More
- Ultimate Guide to Bebek: 5 Best Things To Do in Bebek
- 4 of the Best & Biggest Aquariums in Istanbul
- The 17 Most Stunning & Beautiful Mosques in Istanbul
- 22 Best Museums in Istanbul that Every Traveller Must Visit