Related content: List of Turkish Soups and their Recipes
This Turkish red lentil soup recipe is nutritious, healthy, and comforting, especially during the colder autumn and winter months.
Lentil soup recipe:
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 carrot
- 1 potato
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 6 cups lamb or chicken stock or hot water
For the sauce
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- First, take any discoloured lentils from the mix. Wash your red lentils thoroughly with water until the water runs clear, and drain.
- Peel the onion, carrot, potato and garlic and slice them into small pieces.
- In a large pot add your lentils, chopped vegetables and water (or stock). Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 35-40 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Once your lentils are soft, blend it into a puree with a stick/immersion blender. (You can also do this little by little with a stand blender, but be careful of the hot soup in the blender.) If the consistency is too thick, add a little hot water.
- To make the sauce: Heat the sunflower oil in a small pan. Once hot, add the flour and cook until a light brown colour. Then add the tomato paste, salt and pepper.
- To your sauce mix, add 3 ladles of your pureed soup mix to dilute it. Then add the diluted sauce into your soup and mix it through.
- Continue to cook your soup over low heat for another 3-5 minutes. Then, it’s ready to serve.
You may also like:
- Sultan’s Diet: 10 Delicious & Unique Medieval Ottoman Foods
- How to Make Turkish Coffee – Authentic Turkish Coffee Recipe
- How to Make Turkish Tea: The Perfect Cup of Çay Recipe
- Turkish Tomato Soup Recipe: Simple & Homemade
- Ezme Recipe: Hot Ezme Salad (Authentic Turkish Style)
- Turkish Dolma w/ Meat Recipe: Stuffed Pepper or Capsicum
- Semolina Halva Recipe: Delicious Turkish Dessert
- 20 Best & Most Famous Turkish Kebabs (w/ Authentic Recipes)
- Pasha’s Kofta Recipe: Easy & Homemade (Hasan Paşa Köftesi)
- Turkish Lamb with White Beans Recipe: Etli Kuru Fasülye